These healthy oat crackers make a great snack at anytime of the day. By using oats as the base ingredient and adding nuts and seeds I have managed to pack each cracker with the essential vitamins and minerals to keep you going throughout the day .
Oats are a particular good food source at the start of the day because of there high fibre content which ensures sugars are released slowly into the bloodstream, providing energy without upsetting blood sugar levels.
Macros per cracker: Calories 103 , Protein 3g, Carbohydrates 12g, Fats 5g
Although these crackers are high in fat they are full of healthy fats. Almonds pack a punch when it comes to healthy fats. They are high in monounsaturated fats which help against heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol levels
Ingredients (makes 18-20)
- 325g jumbo oats
- 40g flaked almonds
- 65g sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix together the oats, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds and flaked almonds into a bowl and then add a pinch of salt
- Pour the boiling water and the coconut oil into the dry ingredients and mix well to form a dough. if too dry add a bit more boiling water
- Shape the dough into balls the size of walnuts and place them on a non stick baking parchment paper and flatten with palm of your hand to make 3 inch rounds
- preheat the oven to 180oC / gas mark 4
- bake in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes until golden
- once ready remove from oven and let them cool on a wire rack
These are great served with cottage cheese or for you sweet tooth out there jam.