Nothing says Autumn like pumpkins. If you like pumpkin even just a little bit then you’re going to LOVE my low fat, high protein pumpkin pie recipe. Not only is it just healthy but it’s absolutely delicious as well! Pumpkin is packed full of vitamins, iron, high in fibre and has other health benefits. Yes, this pie is a game-changer!!!
Enjoying dessert, while staying on track with your meal plan was never so easy and delicious! This recipe is simple, packed with protein, and the perfect way to finish off your meal.
Macros per serving – 269kcal, Carbohydrates 28g of which sugars 10g, Protein 16g, Fats 6g of which saturated 2.5g
Protein Pumpkin Pie
- food processor
- mixing bowl
- 8" pie dish
- FOR THE BASE
- 120 grams Plain flour
- 60 grams Butter
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- FOR THE PIE FILLING
- 300 grams Pumpkin Puree
- 150 grams Cottage Cheese
- 60 grams Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 3 large Eggs
- 50 grams Light Demerara Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp Nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp Ground Cloves
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees C
- To make the base combine the flour, butter and icing sugar together in a mixing bowl, and using your fingers crumble the mixture together to make fine breadcrumbs.
- Next add 1 tbsp cold water and mix together to form a dough, if too dry add a further tbsp water. You want the dough to be firm enough to roll out.
- Sprinkle flour on to your work surface and roll out the dough to fit your pie dish.
- Grease the inside of your pie dish and sprinkle flour on top.
- Lay the pastry in the pie dish making sure it fits all the way round, don't worry if it hangs over the sides as you can trim these off once baked. Then using an oven proof dish or weight, blind bake to pastry for 10 minutes in the middle of the oven this will prevent the pastry rising.
- While the pastry is in the over, its time to crack on with the filling
- Place the cottage cheese into a food processor and blitz until creamy and there are no lumps.
- Next combine the pumpkin, cottage cheese, sugar and eggs together to make your batter. Then add the spices and whey protein and stir gently to combine the mixture fully leaving no lumps.
- Final step is to pour the pie batter into the pastry and smooth out, then place in the oven at 190 degrees C and bake for 30 minutes or until to pie is cooked all the way through by checking with a knife.
- Best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup
For those who want it to be lower in carbohydrates, this recipe can also be done without the base to make a low carb alternative.
It is quite tricky to find pumpkin puree that isn’t packed with sugar or from a tin. To make your own puree simple dice and roast a pumpkin until soft, then allow to cool before blitzing in a food processor. For those who are not fans of pumpkin this recipe can be adapted by using butternut squash instead.